School News >
Benefits of Graduating From Bell
The Many Benefits of Bell School’s Junior High
For those parents considering transferring their students to an academic center for junior high, the decision involves a delicate weighing of pros and cons in the context of the individual student and family. It’s not an easy process and sometimes the choice feels like it’s too close to call. If you would like to speak with Ms. Caudill about your particular situation, please feel free to contact her. Otherwise, here are a few of the many reasons you might choose to keep your student at Bell.
Bell School’s 7th and 8th grade program, led by experienced teachers, aims to provide students with a challenging and rich curriculum that enhances students’ prospects for admission to the city’s selective enrollment high schools and prepares them for the rigors of high school. Many of our graduates attend the city’s most selective high schools and succeed--in good part because Bell offers students in the upper grades a program that addresses the social, emotional, and educational needs of junior high students. The more intimate and nurturing setting of the grammar school compared to the high school provides benefits:
- Students have close relationships with teachers, staff, and classmates, developed over years in the building.
- Upper-grade students have the opportunity to serve as leaders in the school--directing fine arts productions, running the student council, exploring themselves and the world through the 8th grade Legacy Project, serving as buddies to lower-grade students, participating in special classes such as before-school art history, and competing as senior members of the school’s sports teams, academic teams, and clubs.
- Overnight field trips, an emphasis on inclusion, and the preparations for graduation bind the members of each class to one another.
- There’s recess everyday and the chance to play with friends.
- Bell’s counselor helps families manage the high-school admissions process and provides individual attention and guidance for those families who seek it. Bell’s veteran parents are a valuable resource for families as they navigate the high-school decision-making process; they have connections to and insights about the region’s high school options.
Bell School has a long tradition of preparing students for life beyond elementary school. Consider having your student remain at Bell through 8th grade and enjoy the benefits of staying part of this caring community.